Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Kapuskasing Inn



It is with sadness I heard the news this week of the fire that gutted the historical landmark in my hometown , the Kapuskasing Inn . For years community minded citizens had asked for the preservation of the Inn . At one time the Inn hosted weddings and events and was a place of pride and prestige . In 1951 a young British princess named Elizabeth stayed in one of the Inn's luxury suites and the building became a part of of history . It is a blight on our society that we let historical buildings such as this one become ruins waiting for a demise such as this . Visiting my Dad a 2 years ago I walked the streets of my hometown and took a few pictures to remind me of a life I once lived . The Inn was one of those pictures . Now the black , empty space will be but a memory for all of us who remember the innocence of a time long gone and the timeless beauty of the Kapuskasing Inn .




6 comments:

N@ Lauzon said...

Aw, that IS sad! Sad when things like this happen. :( Had it been still a functioning Inn recently, or empty?

I remember staying there as a kid - and hearing the SNORING in the room next door. Paper thin walls. First of all, thank god it was only snoring. And secondly - I wonder if Princess Elizabeth heard snoring next door, too.

You must tell about the time when the REAL Colonel Sanders went to Kap!

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine looking across the river from the highway, and NOT seeing the Kapuskasing Inn.
Sad time for the Model Town, indeed.

In 1997, I worked on the golf course in Iroquois Falls, and watched as the Hotel Iroquois was torn down across the street. Another small town landmark; however, it was torn down to make more parking spaces for paper mill employees. All that summer, Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi" kept playing in my head -- especially the line about paving paradise and putting up a parking lot. (Oooh, la la la la...)
Since then, other I.F. landmarks have fallen into disrepair and been levelled, including the Bay store and Iroquois Falls Public School, which was a twin building to a public school in Kap (Diamond Jubilee P.S., I think).

Anonymous said...

Stupid f*@#in' Gremlins. I worked on the golf course and the hotel was torn down in 1977, not '97.

Ma Horton said...

The day Diamond Jubliee Public School was torn down was the day we buried my mother . I remember standing on my street across from my old school and crying not only for the loss of my Mom but the loss of an era . Definitely another building of historical worth that should have been saved in Kap .

John Mielke Photography said...

My father in law is from Kap. He and his wife are about to move to New Brunswick this weekend, but before the moving trucks show up in 10 days, they're taking my wife and her brother on one last tour of his hometown.

He was so sad to hear of this fire... just a few days before he'd have seen it again.

But... I assured him that the REAL vacation value was a stop at the Timmy's in South Porcupine. :)

Milky

rick said...

has anyone heard of a theft of queens luggage while she was in kap... i have heard this story for years but don't know if it is true?

gt